Search This Blog

Friday, September 21, 2012

Gay rapper Will.i.am helps NASA Mars mission educate kids

collectspace, "NASA: "Reach for the Stars" with will.i.am ," youtube.com posted Aug 28, 2012. For the first time in history, a recorded song has been beamed back to Earth from another planet. Students, special guests and news media gathered at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory (JPL) in Pasadena, Calif., on Tuesday, Aug. 28, 2012, to hear "Reach for the Stars" by musician will.i.am after it was transmitted from the surface of Mars by the Curiosity rover. For more see Press Release from Ann Marie Trotta, "Curiosity Rover Plays First Song Transmitted From Another Planet," NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Aug. 28, 2012 and article by Staff, "Signals from Mars: NASA's Curiosity rover radios will.i.am song in music first," collectspace.com posted Aug. 28, 2012.

I just got to watch the TV show "I.Am.Mars - Reach for the stars," Science Channel broadcast Sep. 19, 2012 7-7:30PMPT on Comcast Cable TV. (See "Science Promos: Reach for the Stars review)

I first met rapper will.i.am (William James Adams, Jr. born March 15, 1975 d.b.a. I.am.Bizzy William Adams) when he sent me an invitation to a gay party. He had found me through a friend after having read my blog. I was surprised because my blog leans toward science and engineering and I wondered why a gay rapper would be interested in my blog. After watching this TV show it became clear. I was pleasantly surprised to find out that Will.i.am grew up loving science and engineering that he got exposed to at a magnet school in Los Angeles. With his own money he has produced music art that is designed to get children interested in science and engineering.

Will.i.am said he was surprised when NASA called him up and asked him to write the first song to be transmitted back to Earth from Mars. However, when I finally heard the reasons from Leland Melvin, head of NASA education, it became clear how this fits perfectly with the goals NASA to reach out to youth for educational purposes.

This situation reminded how it never ceases to amaze me the far flung connection between people that are made everyday on planet Earth. I was really inspired by this video and I am sure it will reach it target audience of science nerd kids no matter where they live. Will.i.am deserves much credit for doing it.