Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 15, 2012

OSU Valentines Day pride and lonely hearts on Craigslist

Oregon State University's student newspaper for Valentines Day featured the OSU Pride Center's activity

PHOTO: front page of Oregon State University's student newspaper for Valentines Day featured the OSU Pride Center's activities of watching the very gay TV program "Glee" and making from scratch gay Valentines because of the lack of gay greeting cards in local stores. (See article by Annecy Beauchemin, "Valentine's Day with pride, Pride Center features activities for those celebrating in nonconventional manner," Barometer, Feb. 14, 2012, p, 1, 2 and the main Corvallis newspaper's story by Gail Cole, "Reclaiming Valentine's Day for all," Gazette-Times, posted Feb. 14, 2012)

Oregon State University student's Craig's List ad from a graduate student here at OSU in a PhD program for chemistry

PHOTO: (click photo to enlarge) Oregon State University student's Craig's List ad from "a graduate student here at OSU in a PhD program for chemistry" looking for gay love and "Dating (maybe NSA) to Possible LTR? - 22 (Corvallis)" posted Feb. 11, 2012. Most ethnographers of gay male relationships would see this ad as a prototypical example of the struggle many gay men face with trying to find a lover in a predominately heterosexual world and a small town with no gay bars or other social gathering places. The author of the ad states his frustration with not having had any success, despite being "pretty physically active" and going "to the gym 5 times a week." I was amused to read his statement because old school psychoanalysts used to point to his sentiments as being evidence of gay men being narcissists. He also states that even though he is "looking to date, with the hopes of something becoming long term," he is open to a NSA (relationship with only sex only and no other obligations for a deeper relationship), but he warns "there will have to be a decent level of attraction for it to work." Perhaps will stick to his desire for this, but it is common to see gay men give up looking and start engaging in indiscriminate sex with anybody for the fun of it. The popular wisdom calls this the slut phase of a gay man's life. (See other previous post Gay relationship ads 1987 vs. 2012 at OSU (3/27/12))

Heterosexual females often express a similar fear that they won't find a good man who wants more than just sex and who wants to settle into a relationship. People who succeed in getting past this phase in life will often look back sympathetically and give younger people the encouragement that they too will find somebody to love if they are patient enough. Of course, such optimistic advice is easy to give after you have found love yourself.

The text of the full add is below:

So other online dating sites have really not gone anywhere thus far, and I can't think of any other ones out there that might lead to meeting someone. Enter craigslist; maybe something will come of this. I've posted an ad or two before and nothing has come of that, but it can't hurt to try again.

I'm looking to date, with the hopes of something becoming long term. At this point in my life, I am not opposed to a NSA type deal with the right guy, but I'd rather not. If your interested in that you are welcome to reply but there will have to be a decent level of attraction for it to work.

With that said, I am a graduate student here at OSU in a PhD program for chemistry. I love science and most any intellectual pursuit, and would pretty much qualify as a nerd, but a socially adept nerd. I am a pretty talkative and communicative person and I love to get to know new people. The human mind is endless fascinating to me. I strive to understand people at the deepest level possible. I apply that to myself to, and as a consequence I am a highly self aware person. I'm also pretty physically active and go to the gym 5 times a week. I'm trying to gain a little more mass, but with my schedule it's slow-going. I love music, and while I do not play anything myself, I am always listening to something. I have a rather unique taste as well so you can bet I'd enlighten you to something you've never heard before :).

If you're interested please do email me. Tell me about yourself some, and do include a picture or two (without which it's highly unlikely I will reply). Please be in good physical shape and under 30. I hope to hear from you soon!

Location: Corvallis

(Quoted from Oregon State University student's Craig's List ad looking for love "Dating (maybe NSA) to Possible LTR? - 22 (Corvallis)" posted Feb. 11, 2012)