Search This Blog

Sunday, February 5, 2012

IRS tax forms are not low vision accessible and violate ADA law

It is the the tax time of the the year again. The privatized IRS tax form electronic filing process appears to be, again this year, inaccessible to those of us with low vision. I wrote the following letter to the editor that I intend to circulate to the IRS's feedback process and to my my Senators and Congressmen: (P.S. after I wrote this blog post, I lost more of my vision last night due to another stroke and therefore I may not be able to do much for a while. I was barely able to update this post this morning even though I had preformatted it yesterday.):

For nearly half a century I've filled out my own Internal Revenue Service paper tax forms. Last year, the IRS quit mailing me paper forms and falsely claimed everyone could file online for free. Therefore, I was shocked to learn it would actually cost me several hundred dollars to file electronically because I have low vision blindness.

In order to get free filing online in my tax bracket, the IRS requires me to use the "private" freefilefillableforms.com Website, but it is not accessible as required by the Rehabilitation Act of 1998 and the Americans with Disabilities Act, signed into law by the Republican President George H. W. Bush in 1990.

This is inexcusable because mainstream Web browsers have had rudimentary low vision accessibility built-in for years. For example, most Web browsers allow text size and color to be changed and the entire Web page magnified. Alas, these low vision features are too often overridden and rendered useless by poorly engineered Websites.

Web pages designed for accessibility allow text to properly wrap for any screen width, which eliminates excessive horizontal scrolling. Also, every image will have a hidden descriptive text or caption.

At my request, the Albany Democrat-Herald and Corvallis Gazette-Times newspapers' Web page designer kindly made a minor code change so the print page tab now displays text that properly wraps to any screen width. This also benefited all readers because stories can be printed out to any size they wish.

This year, after a long phone waiting queue and being transferred to four different IRS employees, my request for a disability accommodation was ignored. The IRS would not automatically mail me paper forms nor consider making all Websites accessible. I am hoping that Oregon's Senators and Congressmen will help right the IRS's illegality.

(Quoted from Thomas Kraemer, "IRS ignores plea for help,"Gazette-Times, Feb. 5, 2012, p. D5)

Some related items of interest: