PHOTO: TV Guide Magazine printed an example of how NBC Olympics TV coverage is censoring the Speedos worn by divers. See the article by Damian Holbrook, "Cheers & Jeers to NBC," TV Guide Magazine Aug. 22 - Sep. 4, 2016, p. 88, which says, "Jeers to NBC, for some unnecessary censorship. Listen -- silver medalist Steele Johnson was only showing his diving goods, not his actual goods. Free the Speedo!"
The censorship by NBC TV coverage of Olympic athletes' Speedo swimsuits was also noted in a magazine article by Megan French , "You Need to See This Accidental Censorship of Men's Olympic Divers (The Internet Loves It!)," usmagazine.com posted Aug. 10, 2016, which said, "While the divers are clad in tiny Speedos, the unfortunate placement of the information bars (you know, those ones with their name, country and total scores) on the lower third of the screen made it appear that they were competing totally naked. And of course, their ripped bodies and six-packs made them look even more like adult-film professionals. . . U.S. diver Steele Johnson, who took home a silver medal along with his partner, David Boudia, quickly became the subject of jokes for his name and the too hot to handle screenshots of the his censored bod."
Only a few Olympics ago, straight males, especially those who ran the TV cameras, were clueless about how Speedo swimsuits might be viewed sexually by women and gay men. Straight men viewed Speedos as being needed only to reduce drag in competitive swimming and not a fashion statement. Straight men did not see Speedos as being a sexual fetish item, even though most straight men would not wear them in public for some reason they weren't sure about if you asked them. As a result, Olympic swimming and diving coverage was like watching a gay porn movie for many gay men. Apparently, this hidden pleasure is being recognized by both prudes and network TV executives today.
See previous posts
- Olympic Speedos TV Guide (7/30/08)
- Olympic Speedos are gay (6/1/08) -- Michael Phelps is shown wearing a 2008 Olympic Speedo LZR suit and Mark Spitz wearing a 1972 vintage Olympic Speedo swimsuit. Michael Phelps
- Greg Louganis Speedo 'Air Mail' 1988 (1/30/10) - Olympic diver Greg Louganis wearing an "Air Mail" Speedo swimsuit at the 1988 Seoul Olympics
- Olympics eye candy is here again (2/6/10)
- Speedos gay history (1/5/11)
- Out Speedo phobia (2/26/07)
- Glee Speedo phobia and NY governor race meets 'Rocky Horror Picture Show' (10/13/10)
- Gay dot com snot stars in Silicon Valley Start-ups reality TV show (11/7/12) - the openly gay "Silicon Valley Start-ups" reality TV cast member David Murray shows off his painted body spray tan in a Speedo