Search This Blog

Sunday, January 1, 2012

My low vision blindness is like seeing a captcha all the time

PHOTO: A "captcha" headline typestyle was used for the magazine article by Jeff Green, "New Ways to Captcha Botts, Startups pitch alternatives to the squiggly lines sites use at log-in," BusinessWeek, Dec. 19-25, 2011, p. 44-46, posted December 15, 2011, 4:30 PM EST. The article says, "It's not your vision going bad: Those blurry words that some websites force you to retype when you log in are getting blurrier. They're known as captchas, and they're designed to stop malicious software from accessing a site and, say, using speedy algorithms to snatch up all the tickets to a concert in seconds." In my case, it actually is bad vision that makes captchas much harder for me. My low vision blindness is like seeing the world as a captcha all the time. For example, when I look at a LED digital clock, I only see the last two digits and not the first two digits until I stare at it and think about it real hard.

Hopefully, despite my low vision blindness, I hope this will be the first of many blog posts that are searchable, unlike my previous blog that was attacked by prudes, which caused the Google search engine to disable all search, even when a search is specifically requested on the blog's home page. Searching is the main reason I could use the blog because my low vision blindness makes it hard to scan my posts to find things. Being able to share blog posts with others is important, but not my most important need is being able to keep notes via blog posts and then be able to search them. I was surprised that Blogger, owned by Google, maker of the best search engine, would disable search in one of their products. It seems stupid and self defeating.