Tim Campbell became the press contact for the mainstream Minneapolis-St. Paul newspaper reporters of news about the University of Minnesota's FREE gay rights groups, which Jack Baker and Michael McConnell help form and used to help with their pioneering 1070's gay marriage activism. When I was going to the University of Minnesota, I never got to know Tim Campbell before I had left for graduate school in 1975 and well before Tim became the editor of two gay newspapers in Minneapolis, Minnesota. However, I appreciated his gay activism and was sorry to read about his death:
Gay rights activist Tim Campbell died December 26, 2015, in Houston, Texas, at the age of 76, from esophageal cancer.
Campbell was perhaps best known as the publisher of the GLC Voice newspaper in Minneapolis, which came out from 1979 through 1992. During that period he was the go to person in Minneapolis for the media whenever they needed a quick quote on some gay related event. . .
Campbell was asked by FREE, a University of Minnesota gay and lesbian group, to be their spokesperson with the press at a rally for equal employment for gays and lesbians. That march passed from the university campus downtown to the offices of Northwestern Bell Telephone Company in the spring of 1974. From then forward, the local press kept his phone number handy. . .
From 1973-74, Campbell joined with Jack Baker and Mike McConnell in conducting accredited seminars in sensitivity training on gay issues for students in the Education Department. . . Campbell, Baker and McConnell encouraged each other in the belief that they could "change the way people see gays" by working to do so. That was the purpose of Jack and Mike's gay marriage, the first of its kind in the USA . .
Editor's note: This obituary was written by Campbell himself, with date of death and age at death supplied by family. This obituary has been printed as submitted.
See some previous posts and links related to Tim Campbell:
- Tim Campbell Speaks Out Blog page timcampbellxyx.blogspot.comand his Tim Campbell, "Blogger Profile," blogger.com accessed Mar. 23, 2016 lists all of his blogs including the following:
- "Tim Campbell speaks out" blog timcampbellxyx.blogspot.com - Last post May 18, 2015 - "Articles and photos on a variety of topics by Tim Campbell, former publisher and editor of the GLC Voice Newspaper published in Minneapolis from 1979 through 1992 for the gay community there. "
- Tim Campbell, "GLC Voice Headlines," glcvoice.blogspot.com Blog glcvoice.blogspot.com - Last post Jul. 29, 2014 - Headlines of news articles and briefs in the GLC Voice newspaper from 1979 to 1992 - In chronological order. The GLC Voice newspaper served gays, lesbians and civilized others in the Minneapolis and St. Paul areas. The press run was 15,000 copies twice monthly. 11"X15" format. Free copies were placed in racks in public buildings, university campuses, restaurants and gay bars throughout central Twin Cities." (NOTE: I access the digital copies using the following two links below:
- Search for "Positively Gay," reflections.mndigital.org last accessed Mar. 23, 2016 - 300 results from Minneapolis gay newspaper edited by Tim Campbell
- Saarch for "GLC Voice," reflections.mndigital.org last accessed Mar. 23, 2016 - 290 Results from Minneapolis gay newspaper edited by Tim Campbell
- "MARCEL THE MENACE: Marcel Proust's childhood sex fantasy novel," ProustByCampbell.blogspot.com blog by Tim Campbell (last post Jan. 10, 2015) - mentioned in his obituary above
- Book by Michael McConnell on his marriage to Jack Baker that led to the first Supreme Court case on gay marriage (12/29/15)
- My notes on autobiography by Michael McConnell with Jack Baker gay marriage activism (2/14/16)
- Gay marriage pioneer Jack Baker starts blog (confirmed) (4/4/12)